Monday, August 16, 2010

Some down time...

My "down time" has been interrupted with obsessing about the 70.3, specifically my running....

My run predicament has been in my thoughts alot. I want my run to be as strong and consistent as my bike. I don't really stress about the swim, in fact I find it quite relaxing during the race.

I think I've developed a "run plan" since I had a chat with Grant on the pool deck last week. He made some good suggestions to work on - try to improve my running base throughout the winter without too much focus on speed, and try to do this by decreasing my intervals, to the point of getting rid of them. In the new year, work on speed and getting my time down. I think this will help me focus through the fall & winter. I still need to work on my form and efficiency. I'll have to talk to Grant more on these topics. Incorporating "run school" into my workouts will help with my technique. Not only doing "run school" (ABC's) but applying the techniques during a run. Definitely a work in progress.

Between all the obsessing, I have taken a break for the last 2 weeks. Finished up my swim classes with the Talisman Triclub last week, rode my bike out to Bragg Creek last Saturday and today. Yesterday, Pauline and I went for a short run (damn stairs, my legs are sore, again!) and an even shorter swim. Has that been a break?? Other than that, spending time at home and providing my condo with a little TLC has been good.

Taking a break from training is always interesting for me. I love taking classes, but when I'm away from the routine I think I need to balance things out a bit more. A few years ago I signed up for a "drawing for the totally intimidated" class. It was interesting and a nice break from the physical side of things. This year I'm going to try a photography class. I still don't own a cell phone, but I did buy a new digital camera before my trip to Europe in June. Slowly draggin' myself into the 21st century.

The other thing I'm going to focus on and change are my eating habits - mainly lunches. I eat out at restaurants for most of my work day lunches. Not only is this expensive, it's not always healthy. I'm trying to pack my lunch at least 2 of 4 days each week. I don't want to go cold turkey, I like the social aspect of the group I eat out with. But I also know that I pack a much more nutritious lunch compared to what I order off a menu. I'll have to work hard on this. I can easily be persuaded to leave my lunch in the fridge and give in to peer pressure. Wish me luck.

Ciao, Cindy

{Off to use my foam roller, I love my foam roller, it feels so good, it's my friend, (I am not convinced)}






No comments:

Post a Comment